We wish to encourage early literacy in children before they reach school age by offering a program where parents and caregivers read with their young children and track their progress together.
The program is free and open to any family with a child aged 5 and under, or a child who has not yet entered kindergarten (4K excluded). It is never too early to begin reading to your child!
- Sign up at the library or on Beanstack!
- Read books!
- Do step #2 often!
- Keep track of the # of books read, (each time you read a favorite, it counts) either on paper or on the Beanstack APP.
- Visit the library with your reading records for a prize when you've read 250, 500, and 750 books together.
- Tell all your friends!
- When you've completed the program at 1,000 books, come in for a grand prize and certificate.
- Congratulations, you've finished!
How do I register my child?
Simply complete a registration form at the library. A family may have more than one child participating at one time. You'll receive a packet of instructions and reading records for each child that registers.
When can we start?
Anytime! And you can take as long as you need to complete the program, provided your child is still 5 or under.
What if my child is already close to 5 years old?
- One book every night for three years = 1,095 books!
- Ten books each week for two years = 1,040 books!
- Double that rate to do 1,000 books in one year.
Does my child have to have a library card?
No, but we encourage you or your child to obtain a free library card so that you may check out our board books and picture books to enjoy together.
Albertson Memorial Library
200 N. Water St.
Albany, WI 53502
*Funds for 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten were provided in 2012 and 2014 by the Education Foundation of the Albany Community. Private donations also fund this program.